28 February 2013

The Book Monster

Forget cookies... our little guy cannot get enough stories! Toys? Boring. Food? Not exciting. But if I sit him on my lap and pick up a book, he gets a big smile on his face and starts waving his hands enthusiastically. For the past week, stories have been the ultimate panacea: calming him when he's upset, relaxing him when he needs to go to sleep, and entertaining him between times.

The catch? (There had to be one, didn't there?) He has favorites. Daddy and I can cycle through those five stories over and over all day long, but if we introduce something new to the mix, the frown comes out, and he becomes wiggly and unhappy.

So what? Be happy your kid likes books, and stop complaining already! Oh, please believe me, I am happy that he likes books! But the adult brain is not wired to read "The Fire Engine Book" and "Whose Baby Am I?" fifty times a day without melting. And no, I am not exaggerating: we read stories all. day. long. My mom made it a goal to read her babies 20 stories a day; we pass that mark before lunchtime.

Will this wind up being a case of "too much of a good thing"? Is he going to be sick of hearing stories next week? I've never heard of a kid this young rejecting toys in favor of books.

1 comment:

  1. Heh heh heh heh. The little guy's smart, too, to catch the new stories...

    ReplyDelete