23 August 2013

Seven Quick Takes Friday, Vol. 43

Linking up with Jen of Conversion Diary for the weekly party!

I
Having a messy house just kills me... but having a sniveling toddler clinging to me 24/7 totally kills my ability to clean the house. So clearly, I'm dead? Or something. I can't wait for my husband to get home for the weekend.

II
If, in a completely hypothetical situation, you bought meat from the must-sell-today discount rack and put it in your refrigerator and forgot about it until the evening of the use-by date, and then threw it in the freezer because you already had something else going for dinner, would you consider the meat safe to eat? If you used it the same day you thawed it?

III
My one attempt at a craft project this summer was using up a piece of burlap left over from some other project to make a potato sack. As in, a bag to put potatoes in, because our apartment has some random magical ability to rot potatoes instantaneously; if I buy more potatoes than I will use in a week, even if I store them in the very coolest, driest place in the house, they will be moldy by the time I next reach for them. Will the burlap sack help? I have no idea, because I haven't touched the project since I started it a week and a half ago. That's not true; I've moved it from purse to table to couch to purse to table, picked it up off the floor a million or so times, etc., but haven't actually picked up the needle and done any more sewing. Needless to say, the potatoes I bought a week and a half ago (which triggered this project) are now rotten.

IV
I'm sorry; can you tell I'm not having a day full of rainbows and unicorns? Little Bear has a cold, and was up at 9:30 and 10:00 and 10:30 and 11:00 and 11:30 and midnight, at which point he screamed and sobbed for an hour straight, and after that I decided to stop looking at the clock... but I'll try harder for the rest of these.

V
We went to see a house for sale in our neighborhood yesterday evening, the first time we've gone house-looking all summer. It was a pretty beautiful summer, and hunting season is starting to open up, and Matt is starting to sound happier about staying in Alaska... so we may be getting back into house-looking, yay! This one was cute and in our price range, but it's old to the point where it needs a fair bit of work, and is smaller than the apartment we are in now. Oh, and the current owners clearly smoked in the house. So no, unfortunately, it's off the table. We will keep looking, though.

VI
I am so thankful that we have a dishwasher. Seriously, I don't know how I would get anything done on days like today, when Little Bear is fussy and clingy and sniffly, without machines that will do my chores for me at the push of a button.

VII
Proper August weather is finally here; we have had a whole week now of rainy days broken up by random hours of sunny blue skies. Leaves aren't exactly changing yet, but more often than not it's in the 40s when we wake up in the morning. Tuesday evening, we had one of the heaviest downpours I've ever seen: even with the windshield wipers going full bore, I could barely see the hood of the car. It's so nice to see the hot weather go! I don't love the cold, but 40-60 degree days are wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Re #2: I'd still use it if it didn't smell funny or anything. Maybe cook it from frozen instead of thawing it at all.

    ReplyDelete