11 June 2015

Celebrating the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart

Tomorrow, June 12, is the solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. And I'm actually getting my act together in advance to share our ideas for celebrating!


I'd planned to replicate last year's Sacred Heart Pepper Pizza, but after yesterday's excitement, the homemade pita and falafel I had on the menu were not happening after we got home... We made a quick pizza instead. Oops. Not quite sure what we'll be having for Friday's main supper now, but Catholic Cuisine has a bunch of ideas for Sacred Heart-themed desserts. Little Bear and I just picked up some strawberries at the grocery store, so maybe something I'll do something that takes advantage of the heart/triangle shape strawberries so easily slice into.

A grilled supper could be thematically appropriate too, given the flames in the Sacred Heart image... I'll have to suggest that to Matt. He's usually game for firing up the grill on summer evenings.

And according to Canon 1251, "Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday." (Emphasis mine.) Since the Sacred Heart is not only a solemnity but also the patronal feast of our diocesan cathedral, I'm thinking tomorrow might be a reasonable day to throw some caribou steaks on the grill!

If you have kids who like to color, I've just discovered the beautiful (and free!!) Catholic coloring pages by Aleesa at Life, Love & Sacred Art. She recently posted one of the Sacred Heart, and I love it! It's printed off and ready for Little Bear to color tomorrow morning.

I don't have the energy for much more than coloring pages and a somehow-related supper these days... What are you doing to celebrate?

1 comment:

  1. I was hopino to make it to mass today, but Peter was up late last night so that's not going to work.

    I may stop by the store and grab stuff for burgers. I like the idea of grilling!

    In past years we made a Sacred Heart sundae with strawberry ice cream, peaches, and chocolate sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete