29 July 2015

Calico Beans

It has been forever, and I'm sorry; it seems like I never use the computer anymore. Baby Kit, Little Bear, and keeping up with the cooking/baking/housekeeping takes up the whole day, and even on nights when Kit falls right to sleep, I just have no brain to write. But you're finally getting a post out of me tonight, courtesy of this sleepy little fashionista:

A.k.a. Big brother picked out my clothes today.

...and Dwija's linkup for quick and easy slow cooker meals, because typing out a recipe is something I can manage even with so very little brain tonight.

I just made calico beans for supper on Monday, so there was no question when I saw the prompt: they're simple, delicious, and kept Little Bear happily engaged in the kitchen helping me measure things instead of tearing the living room apart! It's a winner.


Calico Beans

1 lb ground beef (or moose, caribou, venison, etc)
1 can kidney beans
1 can great northern beans
12 oz frozen green beans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
Half an onion, diced

Brown the ground beef and drain off fat. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for 3-4 hours or in Low for 5-6 hours.

VoilĂ , supper! I usually serve it with cornbread or corn muffins, but it's definitely filling enough all by itself. Little Bear is going through a ridiculous "I don't like beans" phase right now, but he didn't do too badly with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment