05 February 2018

Instant Pot convert

Confession: for the past several years, I've been ever-so-slightly scornful of the Instant Pot as a, perhaps not silly, but unnecessary extra appliance, a fad that would burn itself out quickly enough.

I was wrong.

This pregnancy has been... not easy. There's nothing seriously wrong with me or the baby; I have chronic loose joints, which during pregnancy makes standing/walking/bending down much harder and more painful than it otherwise would be, and means I tire more easily. I had to stop sitting on the floor months ago, for example, because it was too difficult to stand up and walk again. And now that I'm mid-third-trimester, I am so tired all the time, but that's kind of to be expected.

All that to say, my meal-planning abilities have been lackluster lately. By the time the kids are in bed and the kitchen is clean, and maybe I've even picked up after the two-year-old tornado, I am firmly stuck on the couch until bedtime. Getting chia pudding started in the fridge last night (3 minutes of work max) was an embarrassingly rare feat of breakfast-prep. Pulling meat out of the freezer so it can thaw in the fridge overnight just hasn't been happening. (Though to be honest, I couldn't tell you how much of that is due to being pregnant-hurting-tired and how much is attributable to the meat being in the chest freezer out on the sub-zero deck...) 

And so the Instant Pot has been saving me, over and over again. Oh, the chicken breasts are frozen and it's mid-afternoon? Not a problem. Ground beef is frozen and supper needs to be in the slow cooker in an hour? That's fine. I told Matt we were having moose stroganoff, and accidentally pulled out stew meat instead of steaks? Pressure cooker to the rescue. And the reason I first decided to give it a try: dry, unsoaked beans to cooked in less than an hour! I haven't even found a permanent home for it off the counter yet, because I've been using it almost every day. (And we got an 8 quart, so while it's not too heavy for me to lift, it's certainly heavy enough that I don't want to be hauling it up and down twice each day.)

Even with all of those applications, I would still have said that it was nice to have but not necessary... And then we got home tonight after a long afternoon of appointments and discovered that the pork shoulder I'd had in the slow cooker all afternoon was not done, not even a little bit. It wasn't the first time in the last month that a recipe hasn't gotten done in the called-for length of time in the slow cooker, but the other times were new-to-us recipes, so I figured they just hadn't been written well or I'd made too many "tiny adjustments" to the recipe. Tonight's planned supper was a recipe that I made successfully in the same slow cooker two weeks ago—the only difference was that las time I use high heat instead of low, because I got it started (quite) late. And looking back, all of the failed recipes were supposed to cook on low. So it seems that the low heat function of our slow cooker—which is certainly at least as old as I am—is no longer working properly. I guess it's time to actually read the four or so articles I have bookmarked on how to convert slow cooker recipes for the Instant Pot!

We've loved our ancient slow cooker particularly because it has a dial instead of buttons: with the frequency of power outages this winter, it has been helpful to have one that doesn't reset when it thinks it's been turned off and on again! But I'm also grateful, now that I can't rely on it anymore, that we have a machine that can take its place; it's rare enough for the kids and I to be out of the house for a long span while the slow cooker is on that, at least for now, it shouldn't be a huge deal to go reset the Instant Pot if we lose power while it is running. And we probably have less than three months left of winter, so power outages shouldn't be a regular thing for too much longer.

Do you have an Instant Pot (or other kind of electric pressure cooker)? What's your favorite way to use it? I would love more ideas—I know there are so many more things to do with it than the ones I've tried!

7 comments:

  1. I've made taco meat with chicken. Double or triple to put in your freezer! Soups always work well. I'm making a Tuscan stew tonight for dinner. We have a busy evening, so I'll cook it before we head out and let it release and stay warm. Beans of course. Pulled pork. We have done a whole chicken. I like it better than in a Crock-Pot, but not as well as oven roasted. But it is still delicious, especially during those days when basting a chicken isn't realistic. Alternatively, it gives you a lot of chicken for tacos, pasta, bakes, or whatever else requires pieces of chicken that you don't want to stand over the stove and cook.

    Did you get one with a yogurt function? I've heard great things about it, but have an older version. Same with making hard boiled eggs on low pressure. Super easy and breakfast for a week!

    I've also made single serve oatmeal. You prepare it in a mason jar and set it in the instant pot. You can put it several jars and pass them out. It does require prep work, but if you lay out your supplies on the table, you could make a bunch. Also a good task for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try making a whole chicken the next time they go on sale! I've been hearing about cooking whole chickens in the Instant Pot, and we've always liked them when cooked in the slow cooker. Do you make stock from it afterwards? It seems like there would be less chicken cooking liquid to start with in the IP than the slow cooker.

      Yes, I did get the yogurt function! I haven't tried it yet, though, because I've read that you ought to use a second silicone seal/ring for sweet and savory foods because it can pick up flavors, and I haven't wanted to wind up with meat-flavored yogurt... some day when we can get a second ring, I look forward to trying it.

      What is your hard-boiled egg process? I've been making them on high pressure, not low--5 minutes at pressure, 5 minutes natural release, then quick release--but I don't actually know what the difference would be using low pressure.

      Oh, the kids would love helping with individual oatmeals! And I would love getting them to eat more oatmeal :-) They like baked oatmeal, but regular oatmeal is not as popular... but anything they help with, they're more likely to be excited about eating.

      Delete
    2. I haven't made stock,mostly because I haven't had space in my freezer. But I would probably put the bones back in with some water if I was going to make some.

      Delete
  2. Let me know what you find about converting slow cooker to instant pot! I would love to be able to do that on days when I'm not able to get things in a slow cooker on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! It may be a little bit before I have the energy to really dive into figuring it out, so if you're interested, here are the two main sources I have bookmarked for when I have the mental energy to look into it:
      https://www.kitchenstewardship.com/make-slow-cooker-recipes-for-instant-pot/
      http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2018/01/slow-cooker-recipes-in-instant-pot/
      I've had a lot of success with both of their Instant Pot recipes, so I figure they know what they're talking about!

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried hard boiled eggs yet because my research says low pressure is better and I can only do high on mine. They say high pressure has a leathery texture. I should give it a try though. I eat a lot of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting; I'll have to experiment with using low pressure. We've made hard boiled eggs on high pressure a couple of times now, though, and have been really happy with how they turned out.

      Delete