17 September 2012

Grilled Cheeseburger Wraps

Your everyday burrito? Think again.
In all honesty, the exercise routines I've been putting myself through trying to lose the baby weight (and failing miserably) have not been a whole lot better than labor was. Disclaimer: I wouldn't describe my contractions as "painful" until I was in transition. And in the battle to fit back into pre-pregnancy clothes, carbohydrates are not my allies. They are wicked, wicked sirens luring me to their lair in the cookie jar...  Ahem.  Not my friends.  Moving on.

I'd been wanting to put burgers on the menu for a while now, but was having trouble reconciling myself to making thick, soft, delicious hamburger buns and then having to resist the extras for the rest of the week, so the burgers were put off.  And put off.  And put off, until I stumbled across a most unusual recipe from Skinny Mom's Kitchen: Grilled Cheeseburger Wraps.

I made a couple of modifications to her recipe, and served these wraps for dinner tonight.  They were so good!  Definitely a good change of pace from regular burritos, and they managed to satisfy my burger craving as well.

Griddled Cheeseburger Wraps
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon dry minced onion
1 tablespoon black pepper
6 10-inch tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium tomato, sliced
3-6 leaves romaine

In a medium skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain and add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, onion and pepper.  Saute another 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture is thoroughly warmed and homogenous.

If your tortillas, like mine, have a tendency to tear when cool, warm them slightly while the beef mixture sautes.  Sprinkle 1/3 cup of cheese down the center of each tortilla.  Cover with 1/6 of the beef mixture, tomato, and romaine.  Wrap snugly.

Place wraps, one at a time, open edge down in a clean skillet.  Flip when the first side begins to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment