10 March 2018

Easter baskets

I am so thankful today for a post from Katie Kimball of Kitchen Stewardship on non-candy/non-junk Easter basket items! Both because she has a lot of great ideas, and because reading her post reminded me that my usual waiting-until-the-last-minute approach to finding things for Easter baskets would not be a good idea, considering that the baby is due during Holy Week... So this morning I left Little Bear and Kit home with Matt, and went to town all by myself to pick up Easter items along with my regular errands.

(I am also thankful to Matt for being awake enough this morning to point out that, while in many places sidewalk chalk and bubbles would be very reasonable things to give kids in early April, that is not the case here!)

This year, the kids' baskets will each have:
- one small toy (Lego for LB, doll for Kit)
- one accessory to match their clothes for Mass (tie for LB, headband for Kit)
- a pack of Easter-y stickers
- freeze-dried fruit
- and a few chocolate eggs

There is supposed to be a sacrifice jar on the table, slowly getting filled with black beans throughout Lent so that I can replace it with a jar of jelly beans for Easter, but... I am very tired and forgetful. And the kids keep forgetting about it, too. I bought jelly beans before Lent even started, though, so I suppose we'd better get the jar going. Better late than never?

What are your thoughts on Easter baskets for adults? My parents shared one, which looking back was probably just the most convenient dumping-place for the leftover pieces from each bag of candy—there certainly wasn't anything but candy inside. Matt can't remember what his parents did. I do remember as a kid feeling strongly about the importance of my dad having his own basket, so that he wasn't "taxing" our candy intake. :-) In past years we have done adult baskets as well as kids, but this year I think we'll do one shared parental basket and I don't even know what to put in it... It's not like either of us needs candy. Possibly jerky or coffee for Matt; the only thing I'm likely to want at that point is sleep, and you can't put that in a basket!

(I do not know whether this is relevant to a discussion of Easter baskets for adults, but it just occurred to me to note that we don't "do" the Easter Bunny; the kids know that the baskets are filled by Mom and Dad, and are a fun thing to find on Easter morning, but that they aren't really what Easter is about. Not that we necessarily have any particular problem with the Easter Bunny... it honestly has never been important enough to Matt or me to bother putting thought into whether there was a reason to do/not do it. There are so many other things we are actively doing/making/talking about during Holy Week and Easter! Maybe it would be a thing we'd have to address if our kids were in a traditional school? At this point, I don't think LB or Kit have ever even heard of the Easter Bunny, except possibly in the context of my younger siblings joking about the Easter Bunny wearing bunny boots...)

1 comment:

  1. My parents always shared a basket. I only remember them having candy in there-- probably the odds and ends. Us kids would usually receive candy and one item to use/wear during the summer (flip flops, a bathing suit, sometimes a matching shorts/shirt outfit).

    I loooove filling Easter baskets and Christmas stockings. Joey and I have our own baskets. This year we will each get a little candy, Joey will get a recorder he's been wanting, I will get a religious book, and Tommy will get two religious board books, his first tubs of Play-Doh, and a small toy train engine that wasn't really planned but made its way into my cart. ;-)

    ReplyDelete