18 July 2012

Before the dawn

The old adage holds that night is darkest just before the dawn.  With an infant in the house, particularly one who seems to have his "day" and "night" backwards, most nights I've spent wondering whether dawn is really coming.  (The sun is rising here around 4 am these days, and set just before midnight last night, but you know what I mean.)

Looking down at the baby, finally asleep at 7 o'clock this morning, it struck me that God has a lot of graces to offer parents with a new baby:  After spending all night rocking, bouncing, singing, feeding him, changing diapers, etc., the expected response to seeing him finally sleeping now that I had to get up would be frustration, but all I felt was love for him and gratitude that he is a part of our family.

Unfortunately, my brain is still fogged from the lack of sleep and I don't have the wherewithal for a whole post today, but I wanted to be sure to share this excellent post about Catholic parenting at Truth & Charity in case you haven't had a chance to read it yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment