24 February 2014

Wait, the Weekend's Over?

It went by so fast, and I don't even think I really accomplished much. But I'm so tired; today was certainly Monday.

Saturday... Is it a bad sign that I don't even remember Saturday, and it's only Monday night? It's probably safe to say that the highlight of my Saturday was Little Bear sleeping six straight hours on Friday night... which ended at 1:45 Saturday morning. This "teaching him to sleep on his own" business can be so terribly unpleasant.

Oh! Saturday was my sister's 13th birthday. Sorry about that... And I suppose that we got some confirmation there that the sleep-all-night training is having some impact: we were still at my parents' house when Little Bear's new normal bedtime rolled around, and he--who a week ago would have been running around playing for another hour yet--wanted nothing more than to snuggle down in my lap and be quiet. When we suggested getting his coat on and going home to bed, he smiled and walked straight to the door, saying "Bye-bye night-night bye-bye!"

Sexagesima yesterday! Only one Sunday left before Lent begins, and this weekend again we had a great preparing-for-Lent theme to our readings: Christ's instruction that we be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect, understood through the lens of the mercy and wisdom of God. Unfortunately I missed most of the homily with a squirmy teething kid trying to get away from me to run around in the foyer... I'll have to do some re-reading.

The juxtaposition of the different readings yesterday really struck me, though; the Levitican instruction to "Be holy, for I, The Lord your God, am holy," is pretty clearly what Christ is referring back to at the end of the Gospel. But the "how-to" of that passage from Leviticus, a legal book we often associate with "eye for an eye" justice, is actually strikingly similar to the "how-to" given by Christ in the Gospel passage. "You shall love your neighbor as yourself" wasn't something Christ came up with out of nowhere when He told the parable of the Good Samaritan; it is originally from the Old Testament! The first reading and Gospel together sketch out how we are called to live love toward others, a good challenge for the coming season.

We did manage to plan out the week's menu by Sunday afternoon, but somehow that wasn't enough for me to remember to move the moose roast from the freezer to the fridge to start thawing overnight... It went in the slow cooker frozen solid this morning, but turned out fine--which is good to know, because I'm sure it won't be the last time I forget!

Sunday: halibut, spicy baked beans, green beans, whole wheat bread
Monday: moose roast, mixed vegetables, whole wheat bread
Tuesday: sausage and broccoli, pasta with olive oil and Parmesan
Wednesday: chicken Provençal, green beans, rice
Thursday: (with my family)
Friday: lemon-garlic tilapia, steamed carrots, apple muffins
Saturday: bourbon chicken, green salad, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, apple muffins


I’m writing seven posts in seven days this week. To check out other bloggers who are doing the same, see the list here.

No comments:

Post a Comment