12 May 2014

Answer Me This with WIWS

Late to both parties, but I'm doing it anyway: linking up with Kendra at Catholic All Year as well as What I Wore Sunday at Fine Linen and Purple, with a photo for Jen Fulwiler's selfie contest!

So many links. Why do I always do this on my phone, which hates linking? I don't know. Because I can only blog while the child is asleep and usually sprawled on top of me?

Anyway!


1. What's for supper?
Ree Drummond's Fried Round Steak, which I've never attempted, but I happened to notice a pack of cube steak at the grocery store hours after seeing this recipe, and heavens, cube steak is cheap. So it came home with me. We shall see how it turns out. I'm also planning on my mother's potato salad and an as-yet-undetermined green vegetable, likely beans or broccoli.

2. What's the last thing you borrowed from someone?
Me personally? My sister's yellow cardigan to wear on Easter:


Matt and I collectively? A spade from my dad to help Matt's friend with some work outside his cabin.

3. What is your favorite prayer?
In this Easter season, I have been really appreciating the continual reminder of Easter joy in the Regina Coeli, and I've actually managed to say it pretty much every day so far!

Overall, though, I'd say that my favorite prayer is one I learned from one of our former pastors, whose previous assignment had been among aboriginal Australians. This is a private act of thanksgiving after receiving communion, translated from their language:

Oh my Jesus, I believe in You.
You are my Lord and my God.
I trust You, and I love You.
Thank You for all the good things You have given to me.
Please look after me and all my family.
Keep us safe, and free from harm
And make us all truly good, deep in our hearts.
Oh my Jesus, I believe in You.
You are my Lord and my God.

4. What is the oldest thing in your house?
We really don't have much that's old; I have a ring my great-grandmother's uncle had made for her in the early 1900s, but I can't think of anything else that's been handed down from past generations. 

But there is one thing that's quite old: Within the first couple of months that we were married, a priest friend gave us a first class relic of Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos! He was a Bavarian Redemptorist who served German immigrants in America from his ordination in 1844 until his death in 1867. He died in New Orleans of yellow fever, contracted while tending to poor victims of the disease. We had never heard of him before, but now we include him when we are praying to our patron saints, and make sure to celebrate his feast day (October 5).

5. What's the best concert you ever attended?
It's been so long... There were a few amazing Baroque concerts I attended in Pittsburgh while I was in college, but I can't remember going to hear live music of any kind since then. That's sad! We were too poor to even consider concerts right after we graduated, and now our lives are so busy and we don't go out at night because of Little Bear and concert tickets tend to be ridiculously expensive... And it's pretty rare that anyone we'd want to hear comes all the way to Alaska, anyway. Someday, though.

6. Do you have a nickname?
Most of my family and friends from when I was younger still call me Rose, which I pretty much dropped in favor of my full name by the beginning of college. There are probably quite a few nicknames my siblings could dredge up from their memories, so let's not ask them! 

One that has stuck around, though only in a very specific context, is my radio call name: Whenever we were out hiking, pretty much every Sunday afternoon in the summers, the four oldest of us plus my dad carried short-range handheld radios. The idea of course was that they were safety equipment in case someone got lost, but we had so much fun talking code, warning each other of "trail hazards" up ahead, etc. And "just in case we're overheard," we all had radio call names. I, being the oldest, the first, the one who named the others... was Adam.

— — — — —

With the end of the university's academic year, the university parish where we've been attending Mass switched to their summer schedule this weekend, celebrating Mass at 11:00 am instead of 10:30 am. The 10:30 was already a little late to work with Little Bear's nap, and 11:00 was so much worse... I know that he's getting old enough that we should be requiring better behavior of him, but when you know that the kid is tired and ready for a nap and you bring him somewhere he has to be still and silent for an hour anyway, is it really only the kid's fault when he gets fussy? I don't know what's going to happen next week.

The priest saying Mass yesterday had a wonderful homily, though, about how we are all called to be both shepherds--leading those entrusted to us--and sheep--listening to God and following Him and those He puts in authority over us. He really stressed that we cannot be good shepherds until we are good sheep and are honestly open to listening to and obeying God.

Matt's allergies were pretty bad yesterday, so our Mother's Day plans of going up north and spending the afternoon on a river didn't work out, but we did get out for a little bit and walked along the riverbank at the boat launch a few miles down from where we live. Little Bear had a blast throwing rocks into the river, and he and Matt found some pretty ones for me:



And here's what I wore Sunday, along with Jen Fulwiler's book Something Other Than God! You can't really tell here, but I'm being a ridiculous woman wearing wedge sandals and trying to keep my balance on those rocks and not fall into the river. Which would certainly have made for a more exciting entry for the Most Epic Selfie contest, but would probably also have ruined my book!


Cable-knit sweater: Tiara, thrifted
Skirt: White Stag, thrifted
Sandals: Dansko, found on the free pile at the dump!!
Tichel: CoverYourHair.com

No comments:

Post a Comment