20 January 2015

No-bake peanut butter granola balls

No more football posts for a while, I promise. ;-)

I've been having the hardest time coming up with snacks for Little Bear recently, because we're trying to limit his dairy and increase his fiber right now and he's always running into the kitchen asking for yogurt or cheese and crackers. He agreed to apple slices with peanut butter and raisins yesterday, but then only ate one slice. Raw broccoli is always popular, but he only eats the tops and leaves the stems (where all the fiber is) on his plate.

But baby Kit has finally accepted peanut butter as a food I can eat! Seriously, hallelujah. I've been having trouble getting enough protein into myself, but now that peanut butter is back on the table, I had a great solution for a snack that would meet both (all) of our needs: peanut butter granola bars.

I looked at a couple of recipes, found one I liked, and then adapted it this afternoon with Little Bear. He had a blast helping to measure and stir everything together, and kind of pretended to help roll it into balls but really just ate it... which was the goal, finding something he would eat, so I wasn't going to complain. I put the finished balls in the fridge, because it seemed like they would hold together better when cold.


No-Bake Peanut Butter Granola Balls

1 cup oats
2/3 cup coconut
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup toasted chopped nuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients. Roll into balls and store in the refrigerator.

3 comments:

  1. What kind of peanut butter do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Karen! My computer must have eaten the notification about your comment; I never saw it. I use creamy peanut butter, but you could certainly use crunchy... In that case I think I'd probably omit the other nuts or increase the peanut butter slightly, because these were not at all squishy—they definitely needed all of the peanut butter's moisture to hold them together.

      Delete
  2. I am going to make these. I can't eat dairy so I'm always looking for dairy-free recipes. They also look so easy!

    ReplyDelete