07 May 2013

Craziness and Cookies

Yesterday morning, I got a text from Matt about 20 minutes after he left for work. So it's definitely a Monday today. He stopped at the stop sign where the road coming into our subdivision joins the main road to the university, and the driver behind him somehow didn't notice that he was stopping and rolled into the back bumper. And tried to make it sound like his fault. I'm sorry, lady, did you not expect him to stop at the stop sign?

Her insurance agent contacted him a few hours later, and they will be paying for all of the repair work, thankfully! I don't know what it is with people running into our car this year... I'm taking it in to the body shop to have the damage assessed on Friday, and hopefully they will be able to get it in for the repairs soon after. From what I could tell, only plastic parts were damaged; that should be a good thing, right? I know you can pound out dents in metal bumpers and it's probably not that easy with plastic, but at least the parts should be cheap if they have to be replaced.

Today's adventure was tamer: Little Bear and I rescued our pet sourdough that was languishing in the recesses of the refrigerator and put it to good use, along with a generous dose of creativity, making cookies. Sourdough-oatmeal-raisin-spelt-molasses cookies. Because clearly I couldn't think of any more absurd combinations of ingredients.

We went from this


to this


to this!


Two dozen nutritious and oddly delicious cookies. Matt hasn't tried them yet, so I can't tell you whether normal people agree with me on the "delicious" part (he will definitely second the "odd"!). I should have taken them out of the oven a bit earlier; they are a little hard. Next time!

Sourdough-Oatmeal-Raisin-Spelt-Molasses Cookies

1/2 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
1/2 c molasses
1 egg
1/2 c sourdough starter
1 3/4 c spelt flour (or be a normal human and use regular flour)
4 c rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 c raisins

Preheat oven to 375 F. Cream butter, sugar, and molasses. Add all remaining ingredients except raisins and mix well. Fold in raisins. Form into ~1/4 c balls/mounds on a greased cookie sheet and bake 13-15 minutes (my recipe said 20, but that was definitely too long.) Makes 2 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. "Because clearly I couldn't think of any more absurd combinations of ingredients." Allow me to remind you of that time in college when you DID think of a more absurd combination (i.e. the peanut-Gator Aid bread). ;)

    ReplyDelete