12 May 2013

Pretty Much the Best Dessert Ever

Not that I'm biased or anything... but really, it is something special. Blueberry-rhubarb pie filling, cream cheese, whipped cream, pecan shortbread; I don't know how it could get any better.


I made this yesterday afternoon for a cook-out hosted by one of Matt's coworkers. Little Bear had been a whiny teething monster most of the day, and by early afternoon I had pretty much accepted the fact that I was just going to have to stay home with him, again, unless he got a spectacular nap. He did not, but somehow he was a fairly happy child after the abbreviated nap so we were able to go anyway. I am so glad -- it was great to get out and enjoy good company, lovely weather, and great food!

Crust:
1 c chopped pecans
1 c flour
1/2 c butter, melted
Combine and press into bottom of 8x10 pan. Bake 20 minutes at 325 F or until slightly golden around the edges. Cool completely.

Cream layer:
8 oz whipping cream
1/2 c powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
Whip cream at high speed until soft peaks form; set aside. Beat powdered sugar and cream cheese together until smooth. Fold in whipped cream.

Blueberry-rhubarb pie filling:
3 c blueberries
1 c diced rhubarb
4 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 to 1 c sugar
Water
Stir together cornstarch and 3/4 c sugar in medium pot. Add blueberries and rhubarb and stir to coat; add water until it comes halfway to the top of the fruit. Simmer, stirring often, over medium heat until it thickens. You may wish to add more sugar according to your tastes. Cool completely.

Spread cream evenly over cooled crust. Pour cooled pie filling over cream. Chill until ready to serve. 


My recipe, thrown together years ago from goodness knows how many sources, said to make this in a 13x9. I could not make the crust fit yesterday and I didn't have any more pecans or butter to add to it, so I used the smaller dish and wound up with leftovers of the upper layers. I'll probably make a little tart for a Mothers Day dessert tonight, or pour the blueberry-rhubarb over vanilla ice cream. If you want to try it in the larger dish, maybe -not- having a crying baby on your hip would help with spreading it thinner than I could get it! Check it at 15 minutes for doneness, since it won't be as dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment