15 September 2013

What I Wore Sunday {30}

Linking up (on time this time!) with Fine Linen and Purple!

So. I woke up this morning and checked the weather, and the temperature was 26 F. That's a nice temperature, I thought, totally not processing the numbers on the screen as I went and picked out a summery skirt. It is autumn, so I pulled on tights out of habit, but didn't really think about it as I slipped into my fun sandals... and then we were heading out the door, and Matt was commenting on how he could see his breath, and there was heavy frost all over the grass, and it suddenly clicked that oh my gosh it's 26. 26 is below freezing. It is freezing outside!

Y'all, I can't even blame this on baby brain. And I actually got sleep last night. I don't know what's wrong with me.

But yes, frost and cold and leaves and other harbingers of winter. At least it's beautiful and sunny out. My sandals are officially retiring until next summer anyway, though.


Top: thrifted
Skirt: thrifted
Tights: Walmart
Sandals: Fred Meyers

After Little Bear's low-sleep day yesterday, I caved and let him sleep in again this morning; he and Daddy kept sawing logs while I got up to work on a freelance writing project with a looming deadline, and I got sucked into writing and didn't notice the time until Little Bear was fussing and it was past time to leave for our normal Mass. We wound up at the university parish again, and got to hear a great homily from the new priest on loan to our diocese from Poland. 

Homilies about today's Gospel tend to irk me a little, because no one ever seems to question Christ's words that seem to take for granted that these actions are normal: What man would not go look for the lost sheep? What woman would not carefully sweep her house to find the coin? And Father, reflecting on these questions, answered the way I think a lot of us honestly would today: um, no one would do that! I think of just last night, when the three of us were sitting on the floor building towers of blocks before bedtime. When it was time to clean up, we discovered that Little Bear's enthusiastic demolition efforts had managed to lose one of the blocks. We did a quick search, but when it didn't turn up, we didn't launch a full-scale effort; we went to bed and trusted that it'd turn up in the morning.

But God is not like us, Father pointed out. These parables aren't trying to illustrate normative behavior, not necessarily even an ideal that we are measured against. They are illustrating the beyond-normal, beyond-all-expectations, love that God has for each person and willingness to go to incredible lengths to bring us back to Him.

1 comment: