22 December 2012

Seven Quick Takes Friday, Vol. 12

Late again... (would it be cheating to make that count for one? Maybe next week...)


I
It was COLD this week! We got down to -50F at least once, and it didn't get warmer than -30F all week long. Matt was brave enough to go out tree-hunting on Sunday anyway; Little Bear and I were happy to sit by the fireplace in Grandma's nice, warm house!

II
Two more trips to the doctor under our belts; the current opinion is that Little Bear has unusually aggressive seborrhea with a secondary skin infection. We're having to give the poor child penicillin and septra twice a day for the next week. Needless to say, he hates it.

III
We may only be having one kind of Christmas cookie this year. I grew up in a house where there were at least fifteen varieties every year, so the concept of just one feels strange, but I accidentally made a lot of the first kind and I don't think we need anymore. That's "a lot" as in "nine and a half dozen." What was I thinking?!? I was clearly planning on giving cookies away, but still...

IV
The superabundance of cookies isn't a variety I ever had growing up, but is one of Matt's traditions: peanut butter Hershey kiss cookies. Some time before next Christmas, I need to get his mom's recipe: I just made my standard peanut butter cookies and stuck Hershey kisses on top when they came out of the oven, and while they taste fine, they look very little like the ones he is used to.

V
Drumroll... Little Bear has learned to roll over! Being our son (i.e. stubborn and unique), he can't go from stomach to back yet (supposed to happen first), but he can happily roll his chunky little self from his back to his stomach. In which position he has learned to violently kick his legs up and down, because it makes such a fun noise.

VI
Not such a little self, I suppose... He gained a quarter-pound between Monday and Thursday! Little Bear is now just over 17lbs, and is 26 inches long. It's hard to picture how small he was just a few short months ago.

VII
Three days left before Christmas! And you know what? I'm not panicking. Presents still need to be wrapped, no progress has been made on the stockings since last Sunday, I still don't have any idea what is happening (or what we're eating) Christmas Eve or Christmas... but the tree is up and decorated, Matt's present will be ready for me to pick up Christmas Eve morning, and I have 114 cookies. Everything's going to be just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment