04 January 2013

Seven Quick Takes Friday, Vol. 14

I
There's nothing quite like the sight of a flock of drunk songbirds thudding into the living room window. I'm so glad the landlords left the chokecherries on the tree out front to ferment.

II
What happened to my baby??? I turned around yesterday to discover that he's been replaced by a small child--one who sits up, and babbles, and eats oatmeal like a good Scotsman. And is huge. So huge. His preference for sleeping perpendicularly to us has definitely become a problem.

III
We never meant to co-sleep with Little Bear; in fact, I have to admit that I never really liked the idea. I can remember, during pregnancy, seeing statuses on Facebook from friends who were struggling to teach their toddlers to sleep in their own beds after a year or more of co-sleeping, and I would smugly tell Matt, "And that is why Little Bear will be sleeping in his own crib from day one." Then Little Bear was born. Oh, humble pie, how I loathe thee.

IV
Lesson learned: every child is different. Every family is different. You cannot judge another parent's decisions unless you've been in the same situation, and no situation is ever exactly the same.. It wasn't exactly fun to learn, but I think it's stuck, at least somewhat, and made me less judgmental of other parenting styles.

V
Speaking of lessons and humility and such pleasantries, my I-have-everything-planned-perfectly ego took another blow today as I went to dig out the next size of clothes for Little Bear and realized that there was no such box. I had 0-3mo, 3-6, 6-9, 12, and 18, but there was no 9-12 box anywhere. There may have been a moment of slight panic wherein I pictured doing laundry twice a day every day until I could get to the thrift store.

VI
Fortunately for the water and electric bills, we do indeed have 9mo clothes; they were just scattered haphazardly through the closet and under the bed and in the other boxes. Honestly, you'd think I sorted this stuff in the sleep-deprived fog of the first week postpartum...

VII
Aside from the glaringly obvious need to become more organized, I've been thinking about New Year's resolutions. Not that I have any real delusions that I will wind up making good on them, but the beginning of the year is as good a time as any to turn over a new leaf, right? I don't always fail miserably, anyway; last year I resolved to get a better system down for the housework, and for the past nine months or so I've done laundry on Monday and Thursday (at least!), dusted and vacuumed on Tuesday and Friday, and cleaned the bathroom and kitchen on Wednesday and Saturday.

Resolutions for this year:
-Get back in shape. This means buying an accurate scale, not just using the one that broke early in the second trimester. And doing sit-ups. Ugh.

-Stop using bad logic. Case in point: I need to get back in shape. There are Christmas cookies in my house. I cannot get back in shape until the cookies are gone. Clearly, I should eat all of the cookies so that I can get back in shape.

-Be more social. If you knew me in college, this sounds strange. These days, though, my day-to-day human interactions usually are limited to Little Bear and Matt; we see my family once a week, Skype with Matt's family on the weekend if LB isn't sleeping, and talk with people we know for five minutes after church on Sundays. That's not really enough adult interaction, and there is nothing except my own fear of rejection to keep me from reaching out and getting together with other moms who are probably feeling isolated as well.

That sounds like enough to keep me busy! Hopefully I'll be able to carry through on all of them. What are you resolving to change this year?

Don't forget to go read more quick takes, hosted at MoxieWife this week! And pray for Jen: If you haven't heard, she was in the hospital with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. She is home now, but still needs prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment