28 August 2013

Taco Salads

It's been too long since I've done a meal post, and yesterday's dinner was just too fun not to share! My mother lent us her set of Norpro Mini Tortilla Bakers several weeks ago, but with one thing and another taco salad kept getting bumped off my menu plan. We finally got around to using them yesterday, and there is definitely a new item on my wishlist now!


We baked extra shells to have for lunches later this week; we may have gone a little overboard, but they looked so neat! It was unbelievably easy: spray the pans with cooking oil, stick tortillas in them, bake for eight minutes, and voila! Taco salad shells. Some of them got air bubbles in them, which I'm not sure how to avoid, but it wasn't like it affected the taste or your ability to put salad in them, so I didn't really care.


I cooked ground beef with garlic, cumin, chili powder, minced onions, paprika, and...oregano? I think? I make a "taco seasoning mix" and just keep it in a jar, making more whenever I run out, so I can't remember at the moment exactly what is in it. 

We filled the tortilla bowls with lettuce, ground beef, corn, shredded cheddar cheese, and salsa. I was going to chop up more onions to sprinkle on top raw, but ran out of time; it will happen next time. And there definitely will be a next time: this supper was quick, easy, and so good! 

Matt recommends adding black beans or pinto beans next time as well, which is an excellent idea. If I hadn't been counting on feeding Little Bear some of the ground beef, I would have added a chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, in case you want to try this and are feeling adventurous!


No comments:

Post a Comment